Are you a relative beginner but want to extend your sewing repertoire?
Want to have fun designing your own personalised project?
Want to learn how to make a useful and versatile tote shopper bag?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above then our Tote Shopping Bag class is for you!
This is a Level 2 class aimed at relative beginners who have had some recent experience of using a sewing machine (even if it’s only sewing a straight line!). You may have already completed our Sewing ABC Class and looking for the next step.
We will teach you all the skills you need to make your very own personalised tote shopping bag. We will help you to design your own motif to personalise your bag and teach you all the techniques you need to know to apply them to your project. The skills you learn in this class will allow you to confidently approach a greater variety of sewing projects at home together so that you can begin to build your repertoire of sewing skills. And at a time when many of us are looking for ways to cut down on our use of plastic, you can never have too many reusable shopping bags!
What you will learn
- Which fabrics to choose for making a bag and appliqué details.
- How to choose the correct sewing machine needle for your project.
- How to thread a sewing machine.
- How to wind a bobbin and insert it into the machine correctly.
- How and when to adjust the tension on a sewing machine.
- How to change the stitches on a sewing machine.
- How to cut out and construct a tote shopping bag.
- How to personalise your bag using appliqué techniques.
- Which stitches to use for appliqué work.
- Different methods for applying appliqué to a project.
- How to create and apply handles.
- How to sew French seams.
- How to press fabric for a professional finish.
- How to topstitch.
- Use of our sewing machines and accessories.
- Use of all tools.
What do I need to bring?
- 1m of fabric to make your bag, along with matching thread. A canvas or calico fabric would be ideal but you could also use a medium weight upholstery fabric.
- Fabric scraps to make your personalised motifs. This can be any fabric you wish. Fat quarters are a good place to start as these are made from easy to handle quilting weight cotton and you’ll get a good choice of prints for a small price. You could also use old clothes from home if you wanted to sew some special memories into your bag.
If you have any questions about the fabric you need to bring, please do get in touch and we will be happy to help!
Running time: 3 hours
Level: Level 2