Would you like to take your sewing skills to the next level?
Want to progress beyond simple tops and skirts?
Want to make a beautiful vintage inspired dress that will wow your friends and family?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above then our Betty Dress workshop would really suit you!
This is a Level 4 course designed for people who have had some recent (within the
last 6 months) experience of constructing simple garments (e.g. sleeveless shift tops, A line skirts). The class will help you to extend your skills so that you can confidently approach more complex patterns. We will take you through all the steps and techniques to enable you to make your very own beautiful, vintage inspired Betty Dress by Sew Over It. With its fitted bodice and full circle skirt, this gorgeous dress nips you in at the waist and flares out to create a beautiful silhouette that is flattering to all figures.
What you will learn
- How to measure yourself correctly and select a pattern size.
- How to accurately pin and cut your fabric.
- Techniques for transferring pattern markings.
- How to mark, sew and press darts.
- How to sew an all in one arm and neck facing.
- How to insert an invisible zip.
- How to create a hem on a full circle skirt.
- A copy of the Sew Over It Betty Dress pattern (sizes 8 - 20) for you to keep and take home.
- Use of all machines, tools and equipment.
- Tea, coffee and cake!
What you need to bring
- 3m of lightweight cotton or cotton lawn (the fabric must be 1.40m wide to
accommodate the full circle skirt) and matching thread.
- A 16 inch invisible zip to match your fabric.
- A packed lunch.
Please note: it is possible to finish the hem of your Betty Dress using a sewing machine or by hand. We offer our students the choice of how they hem their garment as it is a personal choice based on the type of finish you prefer. If you choose to hem your garment by hand, we will show you all the techniques you need to do so. However, you will not finish hemming your garment during the workshop as hand sewing is a much longer process than machine sewing.
Level: Level 4
Running time: 8 hours