Never used a sewing machine before or forgotten how to use one?
Want to learn how to make useful bags for storing your stuff?
Need a good grounding in the very basics of sewing?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above then our Make a Drawstring Bag class is for you!
This is a hands on workshop for people who have never sewn before or have not sewn for a long time. The pace is slightly quicker than our Sewing ABC class. You will learn how to correctly use a sewing machine to create a beautiful drawstring bag. You will learn how to make your own pattern and the importance of following steps to construct your bag in the correct order. The skills you learn in this workshop will allow you to confidently approach other craft sewing projects at home and give you the freedom to choose from our Level 2 and above workshops to further extend your skills.
What you will learn.
- How to thread a sewing machine.
- How to wind a bobbin and insert it into the machine correctly.
- How to adjust the tension on a sewing machine.
- How to change the stitches on a sewing machine.
- How to sew in a straight line.
- How to sew around corners.
- Basic sewing terminology e.g. seam allowance.
- How to make a pattern for a drawstring bag.
- How to accurately cut and pin fabric.
- How to construct a drawstring bag.
- How to create a lining for your bag.
- How to create a drawstring channel.
- Use of our sewing machines and accessories.
- Use of all tools.
- Cord for your drawstring.
What do I need to bring?
- 1m of light to medium weight woven fabric (we would recommend a craft or
quilting weight cotton fabric
- 1m of lightweight lining fabric for your bag (this can be the same
fabric as you use for the outside of your bag, in which case you would need to bring
2m of that).
- Co-ordinating thread.
Level: Level 1
Running Time: 3 hours