Want to make beautiful blankets for your little ones?
Do you want to learn to patchwork and achieve a professional finish?
Want to combine gorgeous colours and prints in your own bespoke quilts?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above then our Introduction to Patchwork and Quilting is for you.
This is a Level 2 advanced beginner workshop designed to help you understand the basic skills involved in patchwork so that you can create a professional finish. You will need to have some basic experience of using a sewing machine but do not need to have attempted patchwork or quilting before.
What you will learn
- All about the different tools involved in patchwork.
- How to cut and prepare your fabric for patchwork.
- How to create neat nested seams to give a professional finish.
- All about batting and wadding and how to choose the correct one for your quilt.
- How to quilt your patchwork, wadding/batting and backing fabric.
- How to bind a quilt using a machine and by hand.
- Wadding for your quilt.
- Instruction sheet for creating your quilt to take home.
- Use of all machines, tools and equipment.
- Glossary of terms.
- Tea, coffee and cake!
What you need to bring
- A selection of 6 fat quarters (or 1.5m of co-ordinating fabrics that you can cut into squares for your quilt) in a quilting weight or craft cotton and co-ordinating thread.
- Fabric for your quilt backing.
If you require any advice about the fabrics you will need to bring please contact us.
Please note: it is possible to complete your quilt using a sewing machine or hand sewing techniques. If you wish to finish your quilt by hand, you may not completely finish your quilt during the course (as hand sewing is a more time consuming process). However, you will learn all the techniques you need to complete your quilt with confidence at home during your course.
Running time: 2 x 4 hour sessions