Want to make unique dresses for your little one?
Never tried dressmaking but want to learn some basic skills?
Want to learn how to read and understand a sewing pattern?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above then our Child’s Dress workshop is the one for you.
This is a Level 3 beginner dressmaking workshop designed for people who have had some experience of using a sewing machine, even if it’s only practising sewing a straight stitch on scrap fabric. You don’t need to have any experience of sewing patterns or dressmaking techniques as all these skills will be covered in the workshop.
What you will learn
- How to read and interpret a sewing pattern.
- How to choose a size.
- How to correctly place pattern pieces on your fabric and interfacing.
- How to accurately cut your pattern pieces from your fabric and interfacing.
- How to apply fusible interfacing.
- How to construct a simple child’s dress.
- How to finish and press your seams.
- How to hem your fabric.
- How to sew buttonholes.
- How to sew a button on using a sewing machine.
- New Look pattern 6504 to take home.
- Lightweight fusible interfacing required to make your dress.
- Use of all machines, tools and equipment.
What you need to bring
- 2m of your chosen fabric and co-ordinating thread. We would suggest a light to medium weight cotton fabric.
- 2 co-ordinating 1” buttons.
Running time: 6 hours (2 x 3 hour sessions)