Would you love to make your own clothes that actually fit?
Want to know how to read and interpret a sewing pattern?
Want to use your creativity to make clothes that reflect your own style and personality?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above then our beginner’s dressmaking course is for you!
This is a Level 3 course designed for people who have had some experience of using a sewing machine (even if it’s only practising sewing a straight stitch on scrap fabric!) but want to learn the necessary skills and specialist knowledge to begin to make their own clothes. The course is much more in depth and taken at a much slower pace than our individual garment workshops to give you the time to practice and perfect skills that will see you on your way to a lifetime of confident dressmaking.
What you will learn
- How to read and interpret a sewing pattern.
- How to measure yourself correctly and select a pattern size.
- How to accurately pin and cut your fabric.
- Techniques for transferring pattern markings.
- All about seams, seam allowances and other simple dressmaking terminology.
- How to finish your seams professionally (including understitching and clipping).
- All about darts and facings.
- How to insert a sleeve.
- How to create a hem.
- How to construct a simple top using a premium quality pattern.
- How to draft a pattern for and construct a skirt using your own body measurements.
- A copy of the Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Top/Dress pattern (sizes 8 - 20) for you to take home and keep.
- Use of all machines, tools and equipment.
- Fusible interfacing.
- Fabric to practice techniques.
- Glossary of terms.
- Tea, coffee and cake!
What you need to bring
- 1.4m – 2m of lightweight woven fabric (e.g. cotton, cotton lawn) and matching thread.
- Fabric for your skirt (we will help you work out what type of fabric and how much you will need during the course).
Running time: 4 x 2.5 hour sessions